Plot Summary :If on one night every year, you could commit any crime without facing consequences, what would you do? In The Purge, a speculative thriller that follows the Sandins over the course of a single night, four people will be tested to see how far they will go to protect themselves when the vicious outside world breaks into their home. In an America wracked by crime and overcrowded prisons, the government has sanctioned an annual 12-hour period in which any and all criminal activity-including murder-becomes legal. The police can't be called. Hospitals suspend help. It's one night when the citizenry regulates itself without thought of punishment. On this night plagued by violence and an epidemic of crime, one family wrestles with the decision of who they will become when a stranger comes knocking. When an intruder breaks into James Sandin's (Ethan Hawke) gated community during the yearly lockdown, he begins a sequence of events that threatens to tear a family apart. Now, it is up to James, his wife, Mary (Lena Headey), and their kids to make it through the night without turning into the monsters from whom they hide.
So here's what it looks like to me : Once a year laws do not exist. Once a year you can do anything you want for twelve hours and not get in trouble. This is called The Purge and it is designed to let humans let out their frustration on the world. This apparently keeps society healthy, the economy up, and crime down.So in a nutshell, the idea of the movie is that if we let people go crazy for 12 hours they will be calm for 364.5 days.
My opinion? The movie is a flop. Bad script, and flawed plot. The whole idea seemed pretty promising, Original too. But there are just so many flaws. A promising concept was totally wasted, and became a typical home invasion flick - a cat and mouse game between the family stuck inside and the would be killers( a bunch rich college kids prancing around,acting like they just got out of circus with creepy masks on which apparently make them more menacing.)
|There you go, the "purgers".|
About the plot. So lets see..
- Emergency services suspended for 12 hours. What if someone had a heart attack? Just leave him/her to die?
- What do the psychotic killers do? Contain their urge to kill for the other 364 days and wait for the annual purge so they can kill again?
- The "older" boyfriend decides to attempt to take his girlfriend's dad's life so they can be together?
- And after the boyfriend dies, the daughter apparently roams the house alone in the dark, only to appear save her family when she's most needed. yeah, right.
- The Purgers decide to cut off the power in the house so the family can search for the "drifter" in the dark? Oh yeah. If they didn't, there would me no movie left.
- Oh and Charlie , apparently doesn't get chastised for letting the homeless man into their home, who's the source of all the trouble. Bah.
Moving on to the script ..The invaders acting like cultists, saying stuff like "surrender the homeless pig" and "let us purge their souls for America"while using words like "tootaloo" and "folks"..Reciting other prayer-like incantations dedicated to America and the "new founding fathers".. Need i say more?
So..the whole time i was just thinking :
Why didn't the Sandin's just leave the country for the week of the purge? With their wealth, it doesn't seem impossible.
Rating : 3/10.